Monday, October 15, 2012

Argo (2012)

Photo courtesy of mubi.com
Argo is a film directed by and staring Ben Affleck. It is Affleck's third feature length release, following the highly successful The Town, which came out in 2010. As soon as I saw a trailer for this film, I knew I was interested in seeing it. Affleck has been praised for his ability to make engaging and commercially successful movies. The film also stars Bryan Cranston and John Goodman.

The film follows the Iranian Hostage Crisis which happened from 1979-1981. It does not follow the 54 Americans that were held hostage, however, but the 6 American's that managed to flee during the storming of the American Embassy. It follows their stay at the Canadian ambassador's house and the CIA mission fronted by CIA operative Tony Mendez that resulted in their rescue. The operation that saved the Americans followed Mendez's idea that the American's and himself would pose as a Canadian film crew in Iran to scout locations for an exotic science fiction thriller. Mendez arrived in Iran and gave the American's all new identities that they would need to memorize overnight. At first they were skeptical of this mission, unsure if trusting Mendez would result in their rescue, or their capture.

All in all, the film was entirely gripping. For it's duration, I found that I was on the edge of my seat and unable to contain my anxiety. A lot of the films greatness came from it's ability to hold the audience in the palm of it's hand. Through the use of shallow focus and the gradual change from long shot to extreme close up, and occasionally the drastic juxtaposition of long shot and close up, added to it's thrilling nature. I never once found my mind drifting to another another topic. The film is exactly 2 hours in length, but the pacing was genius in that I thought I had only been watching the screen for an hour.

Argo has very positive prospects for being nominated during the upcoming award season. The acting credentials were massively impressive, however I find it difficult to believe that any of the actors will receive nominations, especially with the minimal screen time given to any of the actors. The main focus of the film was the rescue of the Americans, instead of any exploration of any character strange.

I suggest this film to anyone who loves fast paced and thrilling adventures. Also anyone who is mildly interested in history. I give this film a B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment