Monday, October 22, 2012

2012 Film Challenge

This post isn't going to be a movie review this week. Sorry folks! I had a very interesting experience that I felt would be relevant to share in place of a review.



This weekend I participated in a 48 Hour Film Challenge. The basis of this challenge was to write, shoot, and edit a film within 48 hours. The only catch is that you don't know what film you will be shooting until 7:00 pm on the first day. The challenge gives each team a genre, line of dialogue, prop, and character, and each team must incorporate those elements into their film in order to be qualified.

This isn't my first time participating in a 48 Hour Film Challenge. I, along with three other teammates, participated in the New Haven festival over the summer. Unfortunately we didn't submit our film on time and were subsequently disqualified. This time around, however, went much more smoothly.

My team name was Lemon Difficult, and I had the pleasure of working with Matt Lumas, Matt Scripter, Nicole Caputo, Marc Womp, Joe Brown, Paul Kazmierski, Caitlin Read, and Albert Prempeh. Our elements are as follows:
Genre: Western,  Prop: Skeleton Key, Character: Cassidy Denver, drummer, Line of Dialogue: "And that's how I learned..."
Friday Oct. 19 we received our elements and began brainstorming. We finished our script around 9 pm and began storyboarding. By midnight our story and shots were hammered out and we were ready for a day full of shooting. We had a call time of 8:30 am Saturday, at which all of the cast and crew transferred all of the equipment to our location and set up. By 11:30 am we were film, and by 4 pm we call it a wrap. We spent the rest of the day editing and didn't finish editing until 11 pm on Sunday.

Out of a hectic 48 hours came "No Better Justice." I am very pleased with the final product. I am especially pleased considering it was my first time directing a crew for a creative piece, so I was glad to expand my boundaries and pick up some experience. I also got to try my hand at a little editing, although the bulk of the editing was left to the very talked Matt Scripter.

Above I posted the video to our film. Feel free to give it a watch and don't hesitate to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment