Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"Fasten your seat belts. It's gonna be a bumpy night."

So here were go, my first post on my new blog. I want to start off by introducing myself. My name is Chelsea Rowan and I was born and raised in Southern New Jersey, just five minutes over the bridge from Philadelphia, PA. I currently attend the University of New Haven in West Haven, CT as a Communications - film major with a minor in English. 

I've been meaning to start a blog like this for some time, but an assignment from one of my college professors has finally forced me to set it in motion. At the beginning of this year, I gave myself the task to watch 365 films by December 31, 2012. A daunting objection, as I'm sure you know. That would mean I would have to watch at least one film a day, and that's not including any days I may miss. My current tally of films can be found here

You'll notice from reading this blog that I utilize mubi.com quite frequently. MUBI is an incredible website for any person who loves film. They describe themselves as "an online movie theater where you can watch, discover, and discuss auteur cinema." The website offers some great features, such as their list feature which allows me to keep a running total of all the movies I've seen in the past year. Not only this, but they offer users the chance to rate films on a 5 star scale, add films to an "I Want To Watch" list and a "My Favorite Films" list. You can personalize your page according to your favorite movies, list your favorite directors and actors, as well as you're favorite styles of film. It's entirely interactive with message boards and comments that the writers for the site often join in on. Possibly one of their coolest features is MUBI Garage, which is an online production studio and workshop for aspiring filmmakers. As you can see, I obviously love MUBI and encourage any and all film fans to give it a try. Not to mention, it will be a crucial reference point for a lot of this blog, so just keep that in mind. 

As for the point of this blog, I intend to post here whenever I see a film. It might be a film that is currently in theaters, or a film that has been sitting idly on my Netflix Instant Queue for over a year. Each movie will receive their own post documenting my initial reactions to the film, and then a more calculated response once I have given it more thought. I will constantly be asking for suggestions, so feel free to leave me a comment if there is something you think I should watch. I hope I keep up with this as much as I plan to. Wish me luck! 


No comments:

Post a Comment